Saturday, October 14, 2006

Star Trek Voyager

Three false starts, and I hope this time I will sustain interest in maintaining a blog. As with the last three times, I spent quite some time thinking "who on earth will actually read it?". Hopefully I'll stay blogging long enough to find an answer this time!














Saturdays for me are periods of vegetative existence. For some reason, I _cannot_ get myself to work on Saturdays. This Saturday, I had Niko lend me his "Star Trek Voyager" series. This is quite something. The special effects, the decor of the spaceship, and the overall visual experience is really fantastic. The stories are absolutely top-class, with the customary Star Trek-style metaphorical allusions to real-life situations.


I've been through Star Trek season I and II, and a few episodes of "Next Generation". "Voyager" looks and feels altogether different. First and most noticeable difference, they have a female captain commanding the Voyager (the name of the spaceship). Captain Kathryn Janeway ('Ma'am' is preferable, I personally prefer 'Captain'.") is amazing as the captain. She's got a strong presence, portrayed as being more human, and Kate Mugrew's acting is indubitably much more solid.

I have some traces of a male chauvanist in me (_ONLY_ affects my choice of captains for starships, agents in Her Majesty's secret service, and nothing else), so I was a bit skeptical about someone saying "Captain's log Star Date xxx.yyy." in a female voice. Trust me, it works with this lady.

I've been through a few episodes so far, which have involved getting thrown off course by 70,000 light years thorugh a time-space continuum distortion, injuring (and then suturing) a gigantic living organism of nebula-like proportions, an encounter with a civilisation that believes in an afterlife, and enough pseudoscience to fill Wikipedia several times over. Gotta love lines like "The Plasma Metafold is getting unstable. The antineutrinos must be the catalysts responsible for the space folding process!" :-)

Check it out if you're a Star Trek fan!

No comments: