Monday, October 23, 2006

My All-Time Hero!



It's been a while since I saw Rambo movies. I don't recall seeing one since I "grew up". Is it any wonder why Rambo had me fascinated for so long? For the Martians and Jupterians who don't know Rambo, to sum up, this is about a badass ex-soldier who has long hair which he ties with a headband, has muscles like a comic book hero, walks right into trouble with a huge gun, blows everything to bits, and jumps away the last moment before almost being overrun by huge flaming explosions. To top it all off, he pulls out sharpenel from his abdomen, and closes the wound by putting gunpowder on it and setting it ablaze. The best scene has got to be the one where he puts together his do-it-yourself bow-and-arrow set in a few seconds, walks the last few paces onto the top of a mountain right into the view of a gunship, and shoots the damn thing down with an explosive-tipped arrow. By this time I am so giddy I want to buy toy guns again. Come to think of it, I'm almost there with the hair. Now for the muscles. . .

What you find very interesting is how the movie reflects the US view at that time, where the Russians are the baddies. Just before the credits roll, you see "This Film is dedicated to the gallant people of Afghanistan." That alone makes this movie seem like something from a distant past to me. :-)

Awesome line from Rambo III:

The colonel(after Rambo runs through a wall of flame and meets the colonel) :"How are ya, John?"
Rambo: "Well done."

No comments: